More about AC installation
Window AC installation:
For window AC installation starts with removing the glass or mesh from the window. A window AC unit is heavy and require at least 2 people for installation.
A window AC unit has following parts:
- Outer case or frame
- Inner unit
- Front screen
- Remote control
Window AC installation requires following tools
- Drilling machine
- Support brackets
- Guide panels (Optional)
- Basic tool box
What is included in window AC installation?
In window AC installation, first the outer case is securely fixed in the window with the help of screws. The inner unit of window AC is then firmly fixed inside the outer case with the help of screws. After the inner unit of window AC is properly fixed in the outer case, the window AC is switched on to check if it is starts properly. Then the front screen or the cover is gently fixed on the inner unit. Finally the air filter of window AC is inserted in place and the front cover is closed.
Important guidelines for window AC installation
- A window air conditioner should be installed in such a way that the rear end is slightly lower than the front end. A difference of 1 inch is fine. If the unit is too low at front than the condensed water leaks from the front rather than dripping from the rear end of the air conditioner.
- Window AC must be installed at a correct height. The best height for window AC installation is 3-4 feet from the floor
- A window air conditioner must be installed in an area that provides proper ventilation.
- A window AC should be installed at a place away from heat source.
- Ensure that there is easy drainage for condensed water dripping out of AC
- Do not install window AC unit in an area exposed to rain or direct sunlight.
Split AC installation
Split AC installation starts with deciding the location of indoor and outdoor unit of air conditioner. After the location is confirmed, installation of indoor unit is started.
A Split AC unit has following parts:
- Indoor unit
- Outdoor unit also called external unit
- Wall bracket ( Optional)
- Remote control
- Connecting pipes
Split AC installation requires following tools:
- Drilling machine
- Copper pipes
- Basic tool box
What is included in Split AC installation?
- Making the marks as per wall bracket: In the split AC box, there is an aluminum wall bracket with all the necessary holes and attachments. The indoor unit of split AC is fixed on this bracket. To start the split AC indoor unit installation, holes are marked on the wall as per the bracket.
- Drilling holes in the wall: After the holes are marked on wall, the wall bracket is removed and holes are made in the wall with a drilling machine at the marks. Thereafter the bracket is fixed with the screws in the drilled holes.
- Passing important pipes and cables through wall: After the bracket is fixed on the wall, a hole (of large diameter) is drilled across the wall to pass copper pipes called refrigerant tubing, drain hose and electrical cable to connect the indoor unit with the outdoor unit of split AC.
- Installing the indoor unit of split AC: Now split AC indoor unit is securely mounted on the wall bracket. Thereafter the copper pipes (coupled to the indoor unit) are passed through the hole drilled across the wall. The drain pipe connected to one end of the indoor unit is passed through the same hole and is left free in the open space for water drainage.
- Installing the outdoor unit of split AC: The outdoor unit of split AC is quite heavy, so it should be handled carefully. The outdoor unit of split AC is brought outside to the location where it has to be installed. The outdoor unit can also be mounted on an external wall with the help of support. The wall on which the outdoor unit is being fitted should be strong enough to bear its weight and vibrations.
- Installation of copper pipes and electrical connections: Once the indoor and the outdoor units of the split air conditioner are fitted, the copper pipes connecting the two units are installed. The copper pipe attached to the indoor unit is connected to the outdoor unit. Finally the electric cable is passed through the hole to connect the indoor unit of split AC to outdoor unit of split AC.
- Final check: After the indoor unit of split AC, outdoor unit of split AC, copper pipes, drain hose and all electrical connections of split AC are accurately installed, the air conditioner is switched on to check if it is works properly.
Important guidelines for split AC installation
- The indoor unit of split AC must be installed on a wall strong enough to hold the unit’s weight.
- The indoor unit of split AC requires at least 15 cm of open space surrounding its top and sides for proper air flow.
- The indoor unit of split AC should be mounted at a height of 7-8 feet above the ground for adequate cooling inside the room
- While fixing the aluminum bracket on wall make sure that the bracket is given a slight tilt angle, so that the indoor unit of split AC, when fitted is also at a slight angle to enable unrestricted flow of the condensed water from the drain pipe.
- For proper cooling the indoor and outdoor units of split AC should be mounted at location away from direct sunlight.
- The outdoor unit of split AC must be placed on a flat and rigid surface. This unit contains key components of split AC like compressor, condenser, fan motor etc. If the unit is not placed on a flat surface then it will vibrate excessively, which can lead to the breakage of copper pipes, coolant leakage and compressor/condenser damage. Further, the vibrating unit makes lots of noise which could disturb you and your neighbors.
- Correct distance between the indoor and outdoor unit plays a very important role in cooling. The coolant at very low temperature flows inside the copper tubes between indoor and outdoor units of split AC. There is always some loss of cooling effect to the atmosphere when the refrigerant flows between the units. Hence to reduce this loss, the distance between the indoor unit of split AC and the outdoor unit of split AC should be kept as minimum as possible. The maximum allowable distance between the indoor and the outdoor units of split AC can be about 15 meters.
- The outdoor unit of split AC should be installed in open space so that there is no hindrance to the heat dissipated from the condenser.
Be the first to review “Air Conditioner Installation”